Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ch-Ch-Changes

If you remember correctly you may recall this living room post (ewww). I've never loved the decor in this space but I also haven't had a clear idea of what I wanted to do with it. Now I finally think we are getting somewhere! (And Andy is finally open to painting again)


We purchased a new couch several months ago but it was a long 12 weeks waiting for delivery. We have been enjoying it for a few months now. We are very happy with the decision, but I am even more excited that we waited to make any other changes until after we placed it in the room. It seriously changes the whole feeling of the room and has led me to go in an entirely different direction design wise.



With that in mind, we've decided to buy all of our furniture prior to doing any painting or accessorizing.  We'd been looking for a new TV stand for literally months. Months, I tell you! I don't know if we are overly picky or what, but we were not willing to settle (a lesson not needed to be learned again). And then the heavens opened up and we found the Ainsworth collection from Crate and Barrel. We didn't really want to spend that much money but we figured it was an investment well made, and I had a coupon that would go a long way. We picked these babies up this Saturday! The TV stand is big and it is SO nice to have a bookcase. They are a great quality, too. Why does furniture make me so happy? Probably because I've been living in college bachelor land.






We still have a long way to go. We have been looking for an end table to replace the janky one we have, and are hoping to find a matching sofa table for between the windows, behind the couch. Not a super high priority though. We also want to get two upholstered arm chairs for the space to the right of the TV to replace the chair that is there now. I know the current one doesn't go with the decor but it is actually a really comfy chair (it's IKEA if you're curious)! And the coffee table is super functional, but not what I have in mind for the space (and it just doesn't match with the new stuff). Andy and I have always said we wanted a big storage ottoman that we can use as a foot stool and keep all the blankets in. (When I say 'we' I really mean it - Andy has just as much interest in our home decor as I do, although I am typically more gun-ho.) That Bauman sign wouldn't be hanging above the TV if he didn't insist on covering all the electrical covers.




I also moved over all of the picture frames that were near the toy closet to make space for the media tower, so now we have one larger collage rather than two smaller ones, which makes way more sense. I'm even thinking of adding to it, we'll see as I have bigger fish to fry at the moment. I will paint them a few different colors depending on the wall/accent colors I choose. The variety of frame colors is a bit much now.


When we painted before moving in, I wanted to go with a gray and navy scheme to reflect the kitchen. But the "light gray that really looks baby blue" did not turn out how I wanted. Literally half of our house is painted this color and it makes it so cold looking. I've been racking my brain ever since trying to figure out the best color(s) to paint. The couch is mid tone gray but reflects brown sometimes too - hard to describe but it's very versatile! Now I'm thinking more of a warm color scheme. Again, I have vowed to wait until all of our big purchases are made to even think about worrying about the little ones. Then, we'll worry about accessorizing with throw pillows, wall decor, and paint color. We are headed in the right direction though! Patience really is a virtue..


(Can you tell I'm in the middle of switching the piano decorations from winter to spring? Oops.)

No comments:

Post a Comment