Monday, May 7, 2012

Updates

Okay, okay, I know I've been a bad blogger. But honestly, there hasn't been too much to report, and I don't like to blog unless I have something to say. The past month I've been wrapping up my last semester of college! All I have left is a slightly minor exam this Wednesday, and graduation is Saturday! I've been counting down the days pretty much since college started, so it's a bit of a weird feeling knowing that it's almost here.

In my free time, I have been doing quite a bit of research for the house. Since my last post, the porch posts have been installed and I'm really happy with them. Our front door was ordered weeks ago but is due to arrive this Wednesday, so hopefully by this time next week I will have a completely finished picture of the exterior :)

Speaking of pictures, I know I'm awful at taking them. However, just the other day I got a brand spanking new iPhone 4s, so I know those pictureless days are over. The day after I got it, I made sure to go to the house and take pictures of every angle I could. There isn't really a point in showing them now, but they will be nice to have when I start doing posts room by room. We'll see if I keep my word, though.

Although we've pretty much come to a stand-still on house building, I have been doing lots of research. Andy and I have quite a large to-do list. So far, he has been a trooper at being motivated, so I can only hope his motivation continues and that I can keep up. The past few weeks, he's been hard at work on the old cabinets that were in the old house. They were pretty much in mint condition, so we are salvaging and reconfiguring them for the new mudroom bath, as well as the laundry room.  I am so thankful I'm marrying a handy man. He's done so much work on them.  The mudroom bath sections are close to being done, so we should be able to prime and paint within the next few weeks if we wanted to. We are thinking black for the mudroom bath and a creamy tan color for the laundry room. However, my ideas change on a regular basis, so we will see :) We do have the pulls for the mudroom bath purchased, which was more of my thing. I'm excited to start doing more of that fun stuff.

Thanks to Pinterest, our to-do list consists of much more than the cabinet project. First, I stumbled upon this uber perfect master closet on Sawdust and Paper Scraps. For weeks, I've been trying to design a closet based on our needs and dimensions. We are doing this 100% from scratch so we may bite off more than we can chew. Also, I've been trying to find just the right bench/storage for our mudroom. I've pinned options on several of my boards and there are just too many to choose from.  And, I drool over these DIY IKEA built-in bookcases by Centsational Girl.  The dimensions used here aren't the same as we would need, and I'd like to find an option with some filing cabinets, but it certainly has given me somewhere to start from.

Once we get the dry wall in and I know my exact measurements, we'll be able to really get going. I think the Master closet project will be first, because I know if we move things into the space then we will never take it all out and live in construction. Then the mudroom bench will be next, followed by the office built-ins. We'll see how long it takes us to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment