Monday, November 4, 2013

Brains Behind the Build: Planning for the Future

Since Andy and I have big plans for our house, we kept each idea in mind when building. A lot of what we wanted couldn't be done right away because of budget, so we made sure that the layout would make it easy to complete future projects while keeping major renovations to a minimum. Some projects are small, while others not so much.

1. Library Built Ins

I would love a full wall of built in bookshelves, filing cabinets, and space for gift wrap storage. This wouldn't require any demo but would rather put our office out of commission for a few weeks. I'm hoping this project is done before 2015 because we've realized office storage is our number 1 need at the moment. Plus it would add more character and customization to our home.

2. Mudroom Bench Built-In



You know those mudrooms you see on Pinterest? They were totally the motivation for our mudroom space, but it is currently just a big open room. Andy and I both see a need for a built in bench, hooks for coats, and cubbies for outdoor necessities (hats, gloves, swim gear, etc.). It would add a lot of function to our lives, especially when we have kid gear to worry about. I'm thinking a goal time for this project is by 2016 as it shouldn't be too major.


3. Master Closet Makeover


Our master closet is pretty functional right now, but but I'd love to have proper shoe storage, drawers and to just overall maximize our space. Perhaps this will be part of my 20 year wedding anniversary gift since it's sort of ostentatious and unnecessary. 


4. Finished Basement



We are lucky enough to have a full basement, so it's a really good size, but for now it's all dark, dreary concrete. We already have a corner with the furnace, water heater, and storage shelves, which will probably always be a storage room. In the future we plan to finish the rest of the space out with a large rec/family room and one or two bedrooms (depending on our needs). There is plumbing in the basement if we ever need a fourth bathroom (that sounds totally ridiculous to me to have four bathrooms but I guess you never know). I assume this will be the first of the major renovation projects that we tackle, but will still be years from now.


5. Screened in Porch/Four Seasons Room



My parents have a smaller porch and it is such a convenient second living space. I always wanted a room with large windows on three sides where we can have a few couches, chairs, and a TV. It'd also be nice to have a table for games/eating and a walk out to the patio that we don't yet have. I have big plans for this but it may be 15 years before I have it. We put in a sliding glass door off the dining room, so tacking this space onto the house wouldn't be too difficult especially since it wouldn't require plumbing.


6. Vaulted Ceilings and Fireplace Addition

I always wanted vaulted ceilings in the living room. It was something we had to cut for budget purposes (although I have no idea how much more it would have cost). Since the space is fairly large, in my opinion the standard 8 ft. ceilings just don't fit. I'd love to bump them up and simultaneously add a fireplace and perhaps some built in cabinetry. We have a fairly long wall in the living room that needs to be broken up with something. Andy and I both grew up with fireplaces and agree they add so much to wintertime. I'm not sure how I will feel come Christmas when we don't have flames going. Part of me thinks this project will never happen but I'm so hoping it does. It's really the only project on the list that would require demo and would probably be the biggest hassle to live through.

The overall goal for home projects here on out is to add more character and function. Right now the rooms are boring boxes and need some jazzing up - whether by built ins or moldings or what have you, it just needs more character. I know that our house will be a work in process for eternity but am totally giddy thinking of all the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment