Thursday, July 11, 2013

Our Wedding Day

 June 8, 2013

I remember waking up around 6:45 am and relaxing on my parents' couch a bit before showering. My mom, sisters, and I headed to the reception site probably a little after 8 to do some touching up of the room. I will say there really wasn't that much of a need for us to be there, but we didn't need to get our hair done that early and I couldn't just sit around doing nothing while the action was happening. We finished the napkin and silverware placing before we started putting lavender sprigs at each place setting, along with a roll of mints made by my MIL. We kind of helped the chair cover ladies with the table runners, but we ran out of things to do. We weren't even there an hour before picking up the rest of my bridesmaids (Claire at the hotel and Kayla at her house). Time to go get pretty!

Here is where I will note what had been happening with the weather. We had monstrous downpours pretty much on and off for six weeks before (and even some after) the wedding day. It had been one the wettest years in history, and Andy hadn't even finished planting yet (which is really, really late). Somehow we picked the best day of weather to have a wedding. God had to have been smiling down on us because it was probably mid to high 70s, sunny, and not humid at all! It could not have been more perfect.

We had our two usual hairstylists booked, along with our make up go-to gal, Sara. Melissa rolled my hair first thing and then I just hung out and watched everyone else get done. It was an extremely low key morning. I was much less anxious than I expected to be, and the morning went by quickly. My dad made a run to Subway for lunch (which I hardly touched). All the while Andy and the guys spent the morning playing a quick 9-holes of golf and later went to his parent's house to get dressed.

I will mention that my friends had gotten me a light blue robe and "Bride" tank top specifically to wear on the wedding day, so I was garbed up. I kind of felt weird because I'm usually not into attention, but when else was I going to get to wear these? It did end up looking really nice to have the robe in photos.



We were kind of crunching on time near the end, but I got dressed around 1:15 or so and we loaded up the RV to go to the church for our 2:30 wedding! Once I sat down, I started feeling a little weird. Getting married is a surreal experience. I kept thinking "is this happening?" We sat in the RV at the church for a bit, but I was getting stir crazy and needed to go in. We all stood in the back of the church for the last 10 minutes leading up to it, but a few guests kept going in those doors, so I had to hide in the corner so they couldn't get a full view of me. I was so ready to have the walk down the aisle over with, since that was really the only thing I was nervous about. The processional went well and the music was great. The only hiccup was that our nephews, the ring bearers didn't go down the aisle, but my nephew Barrett gave a show. After about 20 seconds of them standing there I was hollering for them to give up so I could just go..




The ceremony was enjoyable. I was glad I didn't have to look at the guests because I didn't feel like I had 200 people staring at me. Honestly, I was pretty comfortable up there. The readers did a great job (thanks Jenn and Liz!) and the homily was centered around our unity candle song, Crazy Love. We said our vows and were married!


We greeted guests as they left the church, which went quickly. I was so thankful we did that! Then we took family photos outside of the church before loading the RV again with the bridal party.

We took group pictures at the Jones' House, the oldest brick home in Pontiac, before heading to the courthouse. Andy and I went to the Yost Museum for a few photos before we all went to the Elks for more. We separated the boys and girls and this was where we had a few laughs and got comfortable. I had four bridesmads (my 2 sisters and 2 friends), while Andy had 5 groomsmen (3 brothers and 2 friends). He also had 3 of his friends as ushers. We finished just in time to be announced at the reception. I was surprised we missed all of cocktail hour! It was all already going by so fast..




We were announced and cut the cake (no face smashing here!), before the speeches. My dad started us off followed by our 2 best men and my MOH. They were great speeches (not embarrassing, thank goodness!). We had our first dances (which may have been the only semi-weird point of being the center of attention) and it was time for us to mingle.


I will say now that I am so thankful we greeted everyone as they left the ceremony, because we must've missed half the people in the room at the reception. There are so many people that I don't remember seeing. It still bothers me, but I guess that's the curse of having a large wedding and I knew there was nothing I could do to change it. I danced when I wanted to dance and had a blast. Andy and I each got to eat a piece of cake around 10 pm or so (it was so good). We stayed until the after the last song and then made our exit. It had been the perfect day. It all went by in such a blur.. I still can't believe it's over.

I'm just so thankful it was such an easy, stress-free day. I hear all the time about crazy busy, stressed out brides and think "they don't know what they're doing." We did it right. It was the best. I wish we could live it over a thousand times..



Things to Note:

Wedding Dress - Martina Liana
Bridesmaid Dresses - Jim Hjelm Occasions
        (brooches via Esty thanks to my MOH)
Tuxes - Men's Warehouse
Photographers - Beyond the Well
DJ, Lighting, and Draping - Sound and Light Creations
Chair Covers, Table Runners, and Linens - I Do Events
Flowers - Kim's Floral

No comments:

Post a Comment