Friday, July 24, 2015

3 Months Later: Why My Labor Was Perfect

No, this is not a sappy post. 

My labor with Elliott was pretty much picture perfect. I couldn't have dreamed of a better first delivery. These are some off the reasons why I think it went so smoothly, so for the next one I can reference and duplicate. Many are self explanatory.



1. I didn't have to be induced.
I know most people can't control this, but thankfully I didn't have any medical reason for induction, and could hold off on delivering for as long as I wanted. My body and baby were ready to go just 3 days after my due date. I had a long enough labor as it is, and I'm pretty sure being induced would only add to that. Not to mention I was always scared my body would be stubborn and counter attack pitocin and I'd end up with a section. Remind me of this when I want the convenience of an induction with baby #2.

2. I had the best nurse ever.
I had great nurses throughout my stay in the hospital, but I only really remember the ones during my labor. Samantha was my nurse for the actual delivery and she might as well have been called Saint Samantha. She had the greatest bedside manner and talked me off the epidural ledge at the end when I was losing it. She was the greatest coach and I'm glad she was the one there with me through the worst (and later the best!) part of it all. I still can't believe she was only a PRN L+D nurse because that girl deserves a medal or something. And this was one thing to happen completely by chance, it's not like a bunch of nurses lined up and I got to pick mine.

3. I had the best doctor ever.
I can't say this enough. Dr. Emm was always understanding and respectful, so would be okay with any route I took for delivery. However, our philosophies lined up pretty perfectly anyway. She is really laid back and trusts the labor process. But even more so, she really made me feel like a priority. She didn't pass me on to anyone else just because she wasn't on call. When I was dying at the end, it took her four minutes to get to my room from the time Sam told us she called her.  She came to the hospital a little early to break my water (I was at a 9) and was there with me through the whole pushing process. She will definitely be delivering all of my babies and I will be devastated if for some reason that can't happen.

4. I did a lot of squats.
I am generally in decent shape but I was not all about exercising during pregnancy. The only things I held myself accountable for were stretches and squats, and I was pretty good about following through, especially at the end of my pregnancy. I had always learned that squats help the baby get low, but after delivery I also read an article about squats strengthening pelvic floor to push out babies very quickly. Elliott was out head to toe in one push so that can't be coincidental, at least not entirely.

5. I didn't have an epidural.
Technically this should have no bearing on a successful labor, but hear me out. First of all, I feel like moving around was key to get things to progress. I'm convinced it would have been days if I couldn't walk the halls. An epidural would have made that pretty impossible. Also I am still more scared about the numbness and random side effects of epidurals than a giant needle going into my back. Plus, remember when I said Elliott was born in one push? I'm pretty sure being in pain motivated me to get that done more quickly than if I had been numbed. I'm still kind of shocked that I made it without one, but then again I am pretty stubborn... 

6. I got lucky.
I'm pretty convinced that much of pregnancy and labor is just sheer dumb luck. I accepted early on that things wouldn't always be in my control and really tried to psyche myself up for anything. I prepared myself for various scenarios, but always continued to work toward my ideal vision anyway. It worked out anyway. But even if it wouldn't have, I would've gotten over it. We still have the cutest, cuddly baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment