Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Prepared Childbirth Class: Session 3

This week's topic was mostly labor interventions and C-sections. We went over different types of interventions (ie. forceps, vacuums, C-sections) and reasons each would need to be done. This covered all ways baby can be poorly positioned/breech, prolapsed cord, or simply baby is just too big. I have to say that covering all of the ways that labor can go wrong does not make me want to do this very much. Obviously, I see the benefits of being informed but holy cow can crazy things happen during labor. I swear I only get anxiety about delivery when I'm sitting in this class.

I was thankful that Shellie said some statistic that over 700 babies were born vaginally at St. Joe's last year and only 25 had medical interventions with either forceps or vacuums. I really expected that to be much higher. She couldn't give a guess about episiotomies, though. 

Then we watched a video about C-sections. The couple in the video had wanted a natural, unmedicated labor but the baby was just too big and wasn't coming out after something like 30 hours of labor (seriously, did they just copy Allyson's labor or something?). It was a pretty good view of C-sections I thought, reviewing the whole process of prep, the actual surgery, and post-surgery protocol. I did think that it may have shown a bit more positive light on C-sections than is really real. The woman ended up having no trouble with any recoveries, but I know that post C-section pain is legit! 

Shellie also shared her history laboring her 3 kids. She labored for a very long time with her first, but she ended up being 9.5 lb and wouldn't fit, so they did a section. Her other 2 were also sections because she figured she'd probably have all big babies and would keep having the same problem. She stressed that C-sections are no joke and did not recommend doing an elective surgery for fun. Or for convenience. (Anyone who would do that is just nutty).

Then we toured the labor and delivery unit. Thankfully we did not have to go outside, but took the underground tunnel over to the unit. I've been here several times so I knew the basics. And at this point I had hit a wall of extreme fatigue and had a hard time paying attention. We saw the water birth room, the nursery, a standard labor/delivery room, the OR, and the recovery room. One thing I learned was that they do have a blow up pool that can be taken to your room if you want, and you don't have to go to the water birth room. Otherwise, I've seen the nursery and a standard room before. The OR and recovery rooms were obviously knew to me though - not a whole lot to note about those. 

Then we walked back over to the classroom and were all set. Next week is mostly post-delivery care/baby prep and Q&A. 


No comments:

Post a Comment