Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Prepared Childbirth Class: Session 4

It was our last class! The topic of this session was basically post-delivery care for both mom and baby.

We started by talking about how much moms leak after delivery, and all of the products that go along with that. I can't even remember the details about much else of this part.

The second half was basic baby care. Shellie discussed the protocol for circumcisions, and the parents who were having boys had a few questions. She also reviewed a few things about breastfeeding, bottle feeding, etc. The other couples had several feeding questions. The know-it-all dietitian in me had a very rough time staying quiet during this part, but I refrained from making any comments.

She also demonstrated how to give a sponge bath, change a diaper, and swaddle. Then we all got dolls to practice on. I've swaddled and changed diapers about a thousand times, but this was nice for Andy to practice. We followed up with basic Q&A. Andy and I didn't have any questions, but the other parents had several. I know they say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I disagree. (Not saying stupid questions shouldn't be asked, but if you need to ask them that still makes you dumb).

Overall the class was okay. I think the other couples' took away a lot more than we did just because we are more experienced? I'm still glad we did it, as it was reaffirmed that we have this parenting thing under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment