Saturday, November 29, 2014

12-16 Weeks


Written Sunday, November 2, 2014: 16 weeks, 1 day
  
I don’t feel pregnant at all. There is pretty much nothing going on that is different than my non-pregnant self. I’m not particularly moody. I don’t think I have any specific food cravings, although sometimes certain foods sound good (don’t people have that anyway?).  From weeks 12-14 I had a few tension-type headaches, but they were fairly mild and I’m not even sure they were pregnancy related. I’ve had sporadic round ligament pain since week 9, but it’s usually fleeting and bearable.

One thing I have noticed is that I’ve had more acne than normal. At first I thought it was just a phase, but it continued for a few months, so I definitely think it’s somehow linked to the progesterone. Things seem to be clearing up a little, though (maybe wishful thinking?). Luckily it’s not awful, but it’s definitely been more than my norm.

At 13 weeks I started to notice a more pronounced “bump.” I say the word bump lightly because it’s more that my stomach is rounded out like a normal person’s.  I still notice that it gradually increases as the day goes on and is most pronounced after dinnertime.  My boobs are perhaps a bit fuller, but barely. Still no weight gain. I’m still not sure if I’ve felt any kicks. I feel more happenings around there, but I’m pretty sure it’s all just bubbles. My doctor said I probably wouldn’t feel anything until 18-20 weeks.

Note: Above picture was actually taken at 18 weeks because I'm lazy

I mentioned in my last post that I had a car accident. Basically I was turning off a major road and the car behind me rammed into me at full speed, with no obvious regard for my turning signal. I was okay and able to call Andy right away. He met me at the scene before the ambulance even came, at about 2:30pm. I told the EMT woman right away that I was 14 weeks pregnant and asked if my baby would be okay. She immediately assured me that the baby is so cushioned that he/she was probably just fine. Thankfully Andy was there to ride with me to the hospital. Obviously they needed to check the baby and also wanted to make sure my other body parts (back/neck) were okay.

For someone who was pretty darn calm right after this happened, being put in a neck brace and on a stretcher was horrifying and embarrassing. I did start to cry because I was terrified about losing the baby and in shock that this happened to me.  Thankfully the EMT people were pretty stellar.

Upon arriving to the ER, I was put in a room and got a quick check. I remember two ladies in the room doing things and also Dr. Rust. He poked around my back (all the while I’m restrained in a neck brace and told not to move), and everything seemed to be fine. Right away a nurse checked the baby’s heartbeat with a Doppler. She found it pretty quickly. When I asked what it was she said some weird statistic that was not in beats per minute so I have no idea what that meant. Shortly after, the ultrasound tech wheeled me to her room. She right away said she found a heartbeat, but I couldn’t see the screen because I was lying flat. She mentioned that he/she was really moving and commented how my bladder was really full. I couldn’t pee because I was still strapped to a bed! She pretty much gave no hints, but said things seemed okay but the doctor would give the final okay. Andy was in the room with me, so he could see the little guy/gal and said he saw a number on the screen say 163 – I assume this was a heartbeat considering at the doctor that afternoon it had been 160.

I went back to my ER room and was shortly taken for X-Rays. Because of the pregnancy, they didn’t take any of my lower back, but covered my belly and did a few of my clavicle/neck/shoulder area. They kept commenting how easy it was because I was thin.  After going back to my room, Dr. Rust came in and said the X-Rays looked good so I could ditch the neck brace. The ultrasound tech came back and said that the doctor wanted her to do an internal ultrasound to make sure that my cervix wasn’t dilating or shortening. She mentioned that things might’ve looked different because my bladder had been so full. Finally I got to pee. At this point, Andy was making phone calls and answering questions for me to the nurses, so I was in there by myself. I mentioned that I have the world’s most tilted uterus to the tech and she said if she would’ve known we probably wouldn’t have had to do the internal. Those things are so darn uncomfortable for me. At this point it was probably 4:45pm.

So far, things had been moving at a good pace and we hadn’t had to wait at all. But we waited for over an hour for the last ultrasound results. Talk about terrifying. I guess they had a busy day and were just behind reading things.  During this time, a nurse came in to confirm a few things, but was pretty quick. Dr. Rust finally came in at about 6:00 and said that the baby looked good, there was no blood around him/her, and that we could leave.

My parents picked us up since we didn’t have a vehicle there. We drove through DQ to get me some dinner and went to our house. We hadn’t spread the news about the baby, but it didn’t feel right knowing the people at the hospital knew when our families didn’t. My mom pretty much already knew. When I called my sisters both of them knew too. (I told Andy this was going to happen – ESP or something). He went over to his parents to tell them the news.

For the next few days, I was even more terrified than I had been at the hospital. Maybe this is dramatic, but I’m an expect-the-worst type of person and that was my coping mechanism. My OB office said that since I got checked at the hospital that there was no need for me to schedule an earlier appointment, so I have to wait a whole 4 weeks to get some reassurance. I don’t think I will take a normal breath and until after November 18 – heck, I will be this worried about the kid forever.

My neck was really sore for a few days, but improved pretty quickly. I’m not in any pain, but my back/neck feels like it needs a good adjusting. At my next appointment I’m hoping to get an OK to see a chiro. I hope this is my one-and-done on the car accident front…

Two more weeks until we know if the kid is on track! And we find out the gender… holy cow…

                  13 weeks                                                                    18 weeks






No comments:

Post a Comment